I went to another futbol game with a couple of Chileans from the ward and some friends from my school. This game was safer than the last one even though we sat in the section with the crazy fans. Once again, we had to pass through the police barricade and get frisked to make sure we didn't have any dangerous objects. Since we had to get there 2 hours early, I decided to bring a worksheet and pencil to occupy my time. I guess I never thought of a pencil as a weapon, but at soccer games in South America anything is possible. The police almost didn't let me bring it in, but when I told them it was for my homework and since I looked pretty non-threatening, they let me pass. The game was amazing. When the players came onto the field for the first time, the crowd went nuts. Everyone was singing, jumping, and chanting. People were lighting flares with and setting off fireworks. Huge clouds of colored smoke somehow appeared. Essentially, we were on our feet the entire game. When our team scored a point, it was mass hysteria all over again. Everyone was screaming, jumping around, and running from side to side in a huge line on the benches. It was probably my last soccer game in Chile, which makes me sad but I am sure glad I got to have the experience.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Soccer Game #2: Spectator Sport or Aerobic Workout?
I went to another futbol game with a couple of Chileans from the ward and some friends from my school. This game was safer than the last one even though we sat in the section with the crazy fans. Once again, we had to pass through the police barricade and get frisked to make sure we didn't have any dangerous objects. Since we had to get there 2 hours early, I decided to bring a worksheet and pencil to occupy my time. I guess I never thought of a pencil as a weapon, but at soccer games in South America anything is possible. The police almost didn't let me bring it in, but when I told them it was for my homework and since I looked pretty non-threatening, they let me pass. The game was amazing. When the players came onto the field for the first time, the crowd went nuts. Everyone was singing, jumping, and chanting. People were lighting flares with and setting off fireworks. Huge clouds of colored smoke somehow appeared. Essentially, we were on our feet the entire game. When our team scored a point, it was mass hysteria all over again. Everyone was screaming, jumping around, and running from side to side in a huge line on the benches. It was probably my last soccer game in Chile, which makes me sad but I am sure glad I got to have the experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment