Friday, February 13, 2009

Rafting


Last Saturday I went rafting down the Maipo river which is about 1.5 hours out of Santiago. We were only on the river for about an hour but the entire trip took 8. Luckily there was a lot of joy in the journey. Much of the time was spent getting geared up in the rafting apparel. On the bus ride there, I heard that we were going to have to wear wetsuits. I was not exactly excited about this. None of the girls were, but we just laughed thinking about it. We first had a BBQ in the park and wandered around the area. So we eventually get to the rafting spot, and then the workers started bringing out the gear. First come the wetsuits, then they bring out the helmets, then they bring out the windbreakers, then they bring out the windbreaker shorts, then the shoes, and finally they bring out the lifejackets. We thought it was never going to end. We had to change clothes in these little wooden shacks and then get the lesson on how to raft. I was the model on what to do if someone falls out. Our guide, Cristian, made me kneel down next to the raft (he was standing in it) and then he showed us all how to pull someone out of the river. I am always am amazed with the upper body strength of men. He grabs hold of my life jacket with both hands, and pretty soon I am sailing through the air, and we both went crashing into the boat. I actually had to pull someone out later so it was a good thing I had some practice. Finally we get on the water. It was pretty rough at times but always fun. I've attached a video that is a little rocky but at least it gives you an idea.

1 comment: