Friday, February 20, 2009
I´m in love with salsa dancing and a guy named Cristian.
Oh, how I wish I had a photo to describe the scene. One of the school activities last week was trip to the local salsateca for a group lesson. I did not want to go basically because I was afraid of the whole idea. Thankfully there is safety in numbers. Upon arrival, the chilean instructor had us all form short lines and learn the basic step on our own with the music. It was a little easier for me thanks to my previous years of swing dancing lessons. So we did the basic step for a while and then came time to match us up. The teacher made all the girls line up on one side and all the guys on the other side just like back in junior high. Then, he made all the guys dance toward us in a line using their new moves in order to pick us up. I was dying! Hilarious! Anyway, luckily for me, my partner was a chileno named Cristian. He is one of the European-looking chileans with dark wavy hair and blue eyes. He was an excellent partner not only because he already knew how to dance, but because he spoke English and could understand what the instructor was saying. Some of his helpful tips from the night were, "Do not think, just feel the music." and "Do not worry if you are taller than your partner." Unfortunately, the shoes I was wearing made me about 5´11" and he was about 5´8". (On a side note, last weekend I danced with a guy who I swear came up to my elbow.) So this is how I fell in love with Salsa. A friend and I met up with Cristian and his friends again the following week for another lesson and then he and I went out last night to study at the library. Afterwards we ate a the cutest outdoor cafe while the street musicians played in the background. It´s like living in a dream or a movie sometimes. We set up a schedule where we will dance every Tuesday and practice our English and Spanish one other night of the week. He has been a great friend/tour guide/dance teacher/Spanish tutor. P.S. I don´t really love him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OH YOU LOVE HIM!!
ReplyDeletej/k
nell - i'm so happy u have having so much fun. i'm living through you vicariously. i hope you don't mind. :) ole!
I am jealous of your exciting adventures!
ReplyDeleteNell, I swear if you don't come home we're tracking you down! You shouldn't be having this much fun without your friends there too!
ReplyDeletehi nellie! i have been sick for a solid month so i am just now returning to real life and just read your entire blog from the beginning--i'm so glad you're keeping us all entertained and caught up on all your adventures. this is my own personal telenovela. :) love molly
ReplyDeleteSounds like a hottie! Can't wait to see a picture of him!!!! Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteSara