Last week I went hiking with my friend, Matt. It was supposed to be just a leisurely walk to a ascensor (remember the shack on wheels?) and we would take it up the hill and visit Cerro San Cristobol, which is a big tourist destination. Well, as we were walking to the base of the mountain, we spotted a little trail that lead off the street. "Hey, do you want to see where this leads?", Matt asks. "Sure", I say. So we walk for a couple of minutes and it turns out to be some kind of road less traveled that we hoped would eventually lead us to the top. There were no people anywhere on this trail, except this man who was sleeping in the brush. I hope he was sleeping and it wasn't just a body. Now, I was not prepared for this type of adventure as I had my purse, and I was wearing sandals, white capri pants, and my favorite shirt. I also had no water or food. But, we continued on because it seemed like an adventure. It wasn't actually too terrible, though some parts were very vertical and narrow. Luckily Matt had some Gatorade. After a couple of hours we made it to civilization. We spotted some humans having a picnic and knew we were on the right track. Finally we made it to the Cerro San Cristobol, which is high hill with a huge, white statue of the Virgin Mary at the top. There is also a church and many stores as well. I thought the best part was the view of the city. We walked around for a bit and then took the teleferico (a little cable car) down the hill. Unfortunately, we unknowingly only had passage for 1/2 way down so we had to get out of the cable car and walk for another hour down the hill. At least this time we were on a paved road. I needed a major foot massage after that trek.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Climb Every Mountain
Last week I went hiking with my friend, Matt. It was supposed to be just a leisurely walk to a ascensor (remember the shack on wheels?) and we would take it up the hill and visit Cerro San Cristobol, which is a big tourist destination. Well, as we were walking to the base of the mountain, we spotted a little trail that lead off the street. "Hey, do you want to see where this leads?", Matt asks. "Sure", I say. So we walk for a couple of minutes and it turns out to be some kind of road less traveled that we hoped would eventually lead us to the top. There were no people anywhere on this trail, except this man who was sleeping in the brush. I hope he was sleeping and it wasn't just a body. Now, I was not prepared for this type of adventure as I had my purse, and I was wearing sandals, white capri pants, and my favorite shirt. I also had no water or food. But, we continued on because it seemed like an adventure. It wasn't actually too terrible, though some parts were very vertical and narrow. Luckily Matt had some Gatorade. After a couple of hours we made it to civilization. We spotted some humans having a picnic and knew we were on the right track. Finally we made it to the Cerro San Cristobol, which is high hill with a huge, white statue of the Virgin Mary at the top. There is also a church and many stores as well. I thought the best part was the view of the city. We walked around for a bit and then took the teleferico (a little cable car) down the hill. Unfortunately, we unknowingly only had passage for 1/2 way down so we had to get out of the cable car and walk for another hour down the hill. At least this time we were on a paved road. I needed a major foot massage after that trek.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment