Friday, March 6, 2009

Dinner, a Show, and Food Poisoning



One of the optional activities from my school was at a cultural dinner and a show at a typical chilean restaurant. Upon arrival we were all seated at a huge table. Then the different courses of food were brought out while we waited for the dance performance to begin. The food, which was served on various "mini grills" was quite tasty. We ate some steak fillets, chicken, potatoes, bread, and fruit for dessert. The dancing was very good, but the real fun began after the show was over. At around 10 pm they invited the audience to come out and dance. I sat back for a while at first, but then went out myself. Somehow when I got to the floor the dancing style had changed, and it was not like any dancing I've ever done. It was more like aerobics. In fact, I think I had done this routine at some point in my work-out career. The leader was this guy who stood on stage and shouted out in Spanish the moves, and we followed. I swear it was things like knee-lifts and jumping-jacks. (Sorry, I just learned I can't attach the video).  Not the best idea after you've just eaten a 4 course meal. Anyway, pretty soon, he calls out for all the "soltera chicas" or singles girls to come on stage. "Oh, please no!", I thought, but I was pushed along by a friend. We were doing congo lines and Rockette kicks in front of everyone. It was actually pretty entertaining and not as bad as I thought it would be. Three of us were the last to leave the building out of all our classmates, which is amazing for me. 

Overall, the evening was great. I also got to do more Salsa dancing at the end of the night. So I got home around 2 am and then at around 5 am I woke up with shooting pains in my stomach. Before classes, I was talking to a guy from school and and he said he was sick, too. Well, it turns out about 8 students got food poisoning of some sort. Our activities coordinator was a little horrified because the restaurant was a very classy and somewhat expensive facility. All part of the experience in South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment