Tuesday, March 10, 2009

¿Cuantos años tienes?

What is the deal with this question? I don´t know if it´s just me, but everywhere I go or everytime I meet someone, they always asks me how old I am. I mean everywhere...at church, at school, at parties, at activities, on the subway. For example, the other day I was meeting someone to go salsa dancing, and the way way I met this very nice young German guy on the subway. It was full, and we happened to be smashed together so a conversation was easy. After chatting for a few minutes, he says, "How old are you?" I wanted to say, "Do you want to know how many kilos I weigh, too?" I think that when a guy asks me that again I will ask him how much money he makes;) Often I tell people the truth, sometimes I tell them, "Veinte siempre", which is like saying, "forever 20." I think people ask me because they don´t know I´m as old as I am. They are normally surprised, and think I am somewhere between 5-8 years younger. Also, I don´t think I mentioned all the attention that Gringa girls get here. It took a little bit of time getting used to a few honks, stares, and comments behind your back and to your face for that matter. In fact, my first day here there was a guy was riding by me on a bike, and he yelled out either that I was stupendous or stupid. I hope it wasn´t the latter. Needless to say I feel very young and beautiful here. I´m not complaining.

2 comments:

  1. wait a sec...
    you got smashed with a German?
    Nell! i'm surprised at you. ;)

    i hate that how old are you question. it's ridiculous. however i'm always dying to know peoples ages too... :)

    i love your forever 20 answer. however, being the age we are at, we might want to bump it up to forever 25.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla and Nell--I'm so lucky to know both of you! We will always be forever young with friends like you two!

    ReplyDelete