Monday, March 30, 2009

I might as well be honest.

The last week and a half has been pretty depressing as far as Spanish goes. I am in the second book now of the intermediate level, and it is much more difficult and goes much faster than the beginner level. It´s sad because I almost cry at least 3 times per class period. Not every day, just about half of them. Thankfully, I am able to suck the tears back into my eyeballs before I give myself away. How embarassing would that be?! It´s really frustrating sometimes. Again, it´s because I have to hear the language, translate it in my brain, and learn the topic at the same time. Sometimes I just can´t do it. If I happened to be writing notes, I miss it. I have been referring back to a scripture that I read at the beginning of my time here.

Doctrine & Covenants 24:8 - "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days."

Well, at least I know I am not alone in my suffering. Plus, many people from the ward are willing to help me if I need it. Today was especially terrible, but then something wonderful happened. I saw they had free tutoring offered (which never happens) so I signed up and had a productive hour with one of the teachers. I was the only one there so we just reviewed everything that I learned in my class today (or rather everything I didn´t learn). Now I understand it all. It was a happy little miracle.

I must also say that it was so fun to have the hour of tutoring (all in Spanish) and realize afterwards that I understood everything that was said. I think Spanish and I just have a love/hate relationship sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh nell! That's so hard about learning another language - there are definitly some very frustrating times. But remember you are advancing very well and doing some miracles speaking it! Remember to look at the advancement as well as the set backs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie! Just think about how you'll look back and be so glad you took this brave adventuresome step. All my years in Spanish classes were never that frustrating, but I never really learned to speak it. You have to risk something to gain something. You are an inspiration to us all! Keep sucking back the tears (or let them out sometimes) and keep plugging away. You're right--the Lord is with you and blessing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEAR SWEET NELL
    don't be so hard on yourself!!
    you will catch on - you can do it! :)
    enjoy it - and do the best you can. i'll pray for you to get the hang of it. :) :) xoxoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete