And I'm not talking about your everyday Sushi either. So everyday my school has activities that people can sign up for. Some are free, some cost money. One day I signed up for an activity that involved learning how to prepare a typical chilean dish (Ceviche). This sounded pretty good to me. Later in the day I heard it was some type of fish, which I really don't like. That night when I arrived back to school I learned it was RAW fish. I asked this kid next to me, "You mean, we're really not cooking it?" We all lined up on either side of the table and started preparing this meal. First I chopped up some cilantro and then some peppers. Other students were chopping up the huge fillets of fish. Did anyone tell us to wash our hands? No! Luckily I borrowed some hand sanitizer from someone. It was pretty funny. Later I chopped up a fillet, too. So we threw the fish, the cilantro, the peppers, the onions, and a few other things I can't remember in a large bowl. Then we poured a pitcher of lemon juice in with it, which was how it was "cooked." I wonder if this is how the Jaredites and Nephites did it. While it was doing its thing, we went inside and made some drinks with wine, ice cream and juice. I made a juice and ice cream cocktail, of course. So finally, the Ceviche was done. I ate the salmon kind because it looked better than the other variety. It was actually really good. We ate it on little pieces of bread. I would have eaten more of it but they ran out of the bread.
When I got home I told Norma about it. She acted shocked and told me that that was very dangerous. Then she went and pulled out some black "carbon pills" from a drawer and made me take two of them. I wasn't sure what they were or if they were safe either, but I swallowed them with a lot of water. Later, my dad told me he saw the guy on Man vs. Wild do it so it must be ok. At least my pills didn't come out of a fire pit like his did. Overall, it was a very good meal and I am glad I went.
Ceviche is wonderful! Its fun reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteChristine
I love ceviche. I eat as much as I can get when I travel Central America, which I did last week. In Costa Rica they use lime juice. Eating it with crispy fried, mashed platano is the greatest.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. Keep it up.
Kenton Baker