Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No More Target or Cub Foods


Once I had some money Norma took me to the grocery store. It was in that moment that I realized my eating habits were about to change drastically. Providencia is a very nice and safe area of Santiago but the stores are very simple and small. We buy fruit on the street and let's just say that it is not the same fruit as Byerly's. I've realized that I don't need much to survive. In fact, I really was starving for the first few days of my stay. So, we went to a supermercado and I bought some meat, bread, cheese, and and frozen corn. The funniest things was when I bought milk off the shelf. I'm still not sure what it is but it tastes pretty good to me. The first night I stayed up very late with Norma trying to communicate in Spanish. She told me a long story that involved a night trip to Paris, an encounter with some Harry Chrishnas, and some other things I didn't quite understand. Overall, it was a great first day. That night as I was in bed I could hear all the sounds of the city through my open window--music, and skaters in the courtyard. At one point there was a massive explosion (still not sure what that was about). I just had to laugh at my situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment