Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It all started when the plane malfunctioned and my luggage was lost...


So I finally have internet access. Thank goodness. So I am off on my grand adventure. After a tearful goodbye to my parents I flew to Atlanta for what was supposed to be a 2 hour layover. I suddenly heard over the loudspeaker that the plane was going to be delayed 4 hours! Aye carumba! I double checked with the desk guy and sure enough the plane had malfunctioned so we had to wait for a new one. I hung out with this other American guy, Kurt,  who was also off to travel through Chile and he was nice enough to lend me his phone. One of the things I like best about my trip is that I get to meet so many new people who are doing exciting things. Anyway, our plane finally came in and we were off again. The flight was about 9 hours. As I flew into Chile, again I cannot express the strange feelings I had. I couldn't believe I was in South America! The terrain almost remind me of Utah but only because there were mountains. It looked pretty dry as well. I got off the plane and went to pay for my visa and make my way to the baggage terminal. Sadly, one of my bags never came in and I was feeling a slightly panicked because it had all my shampoo, toothbrush, etc. I couldn't help but think that this was part of the adventure. At least I would have clothes to wear. I filed a report in very poorly spoken Spanish and went to find my transfer bus. 
Ok, so my instructions from my school said, "DO NOT accept a ride from anyone who "claims" to work for TUR Transfer so I was paranoid when I went out to the street to find my ride. Inside I had gone to the travel station and they somehow called the TUR driver. The door opened and there were like 20 different drivers calling at me. Then this guy takes my bag and I'm thinking, "I am being lured away and will never see my family again" but then he took me to my bus and all was well. We drove to  my complex and I walked up to my very tall, and humble apartment complex. I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment