Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Land is Cursed


"...for behold, the land is cursed, and all things are become slippery, and we cannot hold them." This scripture from Helaman came to mind after my friend's purse was stolen. Let me first say that Chile is a very wonderful place. The people here are so kind and helpful. I never feel that my personal safety is in jeopardy. However, my belongings are always are. The other day, my friend and I went to a very nice and well light bread shop (like Panera) to eat something. We were in a corner, my back was facing a huge window and we were up against another wall. My friend's back was to the open, but no one was really around and I had a full view of anyone that would come near us. We had a nice little snack and when we got up to go, her purse was gone! "Astonished" is the best word I can use. I saw no one reach or lunge for her bag, which was on the floor between the wall and her leg (her leg was pushing up against the bag to keep it safe, Ha). It was like magic...poof and it was gone. She didn't have too many valuables in it except for her $500 pair of prescription glasses and all of her books and homework. It was terrible. 

I couldn't figure out how this happened unless someone was crawling on the floor, which would be pretty obvious. So here is the scam: Oftentimes pick-pocketers have this tool that looks like a little crook, and they just carefully and quickly pull your items away. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about people who have not even felt when someone else puts their hand in their purses, backpacks, or front pockets. It happens so fast that you don't even feel it. Also, these people who are robbed have everything zipped and very close to their body. Rings taken off fingers unknowingly in metros, necklaces ripped off your neck, etc. Thieves scope you out. On a side note, someone told me that they put their glasses on the "tool booth" bathroom station (you have to pay at a booth to use a public bathroom here) and the attendant took the woman's glasses right in front of her and wouldn't give them back! It's crazy. She was new here so she didn't scream, "Policia!" Anyway, every day I pray and thank Heavenly Father that none of my things were stolen. 

Here is a picture of the delicious desserts we ate (probably right as her bag was being snatched away).

No comments:

Post a Comment